edci335

Vince Yue

Post 1- Blog Prompt

In our lives, there are many things that people think that they could do it or know how it works. However, the truth is that many things are not happening as we think, or not going as we expected. Just like The Brain Backwards Bicycle video, people thought that would be easy to control the bicycle, but they could not instantly control it. That is a typical example of confirmation bias. Personally, I am a person who like to use my own inherent thoughts to determine a thing or a phenomenon. Sometimes the result will be different from what I thought, so it is hard to accept the result for me. Since I started learning the first topic, I have to change my bias about something.

I want to share a story about my best learning experience. In my introductory post, I said that I like riding motorcycle, so I would like to share the experience of learning ride motorcycle. I can ride the low-emission motorcycle before because there is no clutch lever. The first part of learning is knowing the parts on motorcycle. I learned by searching information on the websites and watching YouTube about explaining every part on motorcycle. The first learning period I think is cognitivism, conceptualize the knowledge that I have learned and organize them. After I learned the knowledge of motorcycle, I started to learn how to ride it. The most important and difficult thing were controlling the clutch lever and letting the motorcycle move. At the beginning, flame-out always happened, and I even wanted to give up. However, after few times practice, the time of flame-outs decreased, I could control the clutch lever and move the motorcycle. The remaining things were easier than I mentioned before because I just need to practice. Practice makes perfect. In second period, I think it is behaviorism. By increasing the practice frequency to achieve the purpose of learning. In my opinion, learning ride motorcycle is combined the cognitivism and behaviorism. Learn the concepts and principles of motorcycles first, and then practice frequently. I really enjoyed the process because I can clearly see my progress.

Topic 1 Blog Prompt

Jianiyang’s blog 1 gives specific examples to explain “The Backwards Brain Bicycle” video. She tries to use her left hand to write, but she found it is hard to change. That’s a good example because it helps me to understand what she wants to express directly.

https://taoyuchen.opened.ca/

Taoyu’s blog 1 helps people better understand these definitions by telling the examples in life. He combines the definitions and examples. Well done!

1. Taoyu May 16, 2020

Vince mentioned a lot of novel ideas, which I hadn’t thought of before. By reading your blog, it also gave me new ideas. For example, people who like to use their inherent thinking to determine things or phenomena are the shortcomings of many people, and I think this is also a shortcoming of most cognitivism because their way of thinking affects their behaviour, but often They didn’t realize it by themselves. Vince ’s experience of learning to ride a motorcycle is very interesting. If there is a chance, I would love to learn with you.

2. xuyaohan May 31, 2020

HI, Vinceyue
    I really enjoy your post. I’m also a motorcycle enthusiast. Because of this, I can relate to what you have experienced. You give me a very good example of these three concepts. When I watched some Youtube videos about motorcycles, I think it’s not hard and that it is the same thing as a bicycle. However, when I was riding motorcycle, I found it was not easy to control how to turn because motorcycle is much heavier than bikes. Behaviorism is the most important thing when learning to ride motorcycle. We need thousands of practices to keep safe on the road. Glad to meet you, I hope we can have a chance to ride motorcycle together.