edci335

Vince Yue

Post 2 Open Pedagogy

Open pedagogy, also known as open educational practices (OEP), can break down to two parts to understand its definition (BCcampus, n.d). Open is refers to open educational resources (OER) which is any educational materials that are in the public domain or with an open license. Pedagogy is how to teach rather than what to teach. OEP is the next phase of OER development which facilitates collaborative, flexible learning and open sharing of teaching practices, and it may also include new approaches to assessment, accreditation and collaborative learning (Paskevicius & Irvine, 2019).

OEP uses digital content to support teaching and focus on taking advantages of openness to support innovative educational practices; social interaction, knowledge creation, peer learning and shared learning practices are activities that support OEP teaching and learning activities. NextThought Studios Staff (2019) suggests that OEP is agency, choice, expansion, creativity, open-ended problems, unmeasurable outcomes and risk and goodness. That is, compare with traditional classroom textbook-based teaching methods, the major characteristic of OEP is its openness with unlimited possibilities. Learners are able to explore knowledge with freedom, and learners are able to transfer these freedoms into inspired ideas and innovation. Moreover, instead of receiving knowledge passively, learners actively participate in their planning and growth, and they are able to take risks in a safe environment to get greater goodness and practical experiences.

I believe the OEP approach can be applied to my group’s learning design, and it could efficiently enhance the learning outcome of the design. My group planned to teach learners the definition of impulsive purchase behavior. In order to let learners connect new concepts with already known knowledge, we plans to let learners read the concept of consumer purchase behavior through online open textbook in Learning Design Blueprint. My group’s concept is to let learners self-reading a concept that is easier but highly relevant to the aimed teaching concept. Our learning design has applied open education resources into learning, but the outcome of students’ reading is uncertain. That is, my group’s learning design could apply OER into this learning activity to ensure that learners achieve the learning outcome. Paskevicius and Irvine (2019) indicate that learners should be encouraged in creation and adaptation activities, and engaging learners as co-producers of knowledge helps learners to innovate in higher education, especially for learners who are not classically educated in pedagogy. Therefore, I believe my group could consider design activities that require learners to create content related to the topic.

In Learning Design Blueprint, we also intend to let students find an advertisement that they found attractive. In this activity, advertisements can be regarded as a type of learning resource since it is designed to encourage consumer purchase behavior. Learners should be encouraged to seek out, review and share OER that might support their learning (Paskevicius & Irvine, 2019), and we can consider how to let learners share OER more efficiently. In addition, using open online publishing could also be considered. Encouraging learners to create digital content could allow learners to investigate the concept on their own; it could allow them to learn knowledge beyond class content, and learners should also be able to innovate with their own ideas. In addition, learners could learn from each other through reading others’ creation, and it could also help them to build skills that beyond the knowledge of the concept.

Comments for peers

https://taoyuchen.opened.ca/

Taoyu finished a very impressive post about experiential learning. The structure of the post is clear. He also inserts a YouTube video to help me to know about experiential learning and gives a systematic introduction about it. In my point of view, I agree with Taoyu that experiential learning is a good way to improve the learning efficiency and knowledge memory. In my studying experence, I’m not always focusing on the class, and I always study by reviewing the powerpoint and the lecture notes. Personally, experiential learning is better than other learning mode for me.

Cooperative learning Post II

Jiani’s post is about the cooperative learning. There are many works or assignments required to do with classmates, and that’s a kind of cooperative learning. Jiani mentions that positive interdependence involves that the group has a clear goal, and the benefit of every group member is essential to the whole group. I agree with this point. As a group, a clear goal is important because everyone knows what to do when they have a common goal.

BCcampus. (n.d). What is Open Pedagogy?. Retrieved from

What is Open Pedagogy?

NextThought Studio Staff. (2019). Eight Qualities of Open Pedagogy. Next Thought.        Retrieved from

https://www.nextthought.com/thoughts/2015/02/ten-qualities-of-open-pedagogy

Paskevicius, M., & Irvine, V. (2019). Practicalities of implementing open pedagogy in   higher education. Smart Learning Environments, 6(1), 1-20.        doi:10.1186/s40561-019-0110-5